Meet Contemporary Media, Inc.: Shaina Guttman

Get to know the faces behind our publications: Contemporary Media, Inc. is the parent publishing company of the Memphis Flyer, MBQ: Inside Memphis Business, Memphis magazine and Memphis Parent

Meet Shaina Guttman: Sales Account Manager, Memphis Magazine 

1. What does your position entail? My sales role here at CMi allows me to create and maintain relationships with local business owners, marketers and agencies while learning about these companies and sharing my best marketing recommendations on how to help them grow by creating new customers. I spend about 70% of my time in the field meeting my clients and prospects face to face to share details on our many media offerings from standard print and digital advertising, to social media, email, and custom content creation. I spend the other 30% maintaining current accounts and prospecting for new ones, keeping everyone up to date on upcoming opportunities and encouraging them to utilize our many audiences to help spread their message and gain interest in their product or service.

2. How did you get into this industry and what insight can you give someone interested in this industry that is Journalism, Marketing, Advertising and the like? I studied film & digital media at Baylor University, which brought me to NYC for an internship with ABC News. I landed my first job working on the set of the NBC TV drama Mercy and when the show was cancelled, I ended up interviewing for advertising and media sales and took the digital media job with United Business Media where I sold advertising and marketing into InformationWeek magazine. Once I realized my passion and talent for sales, I switched over to action sports publications with Grind Media, and now I am enjoying a whole new aspect with a local city magazine here at CMi. My recommendation for someone looking to break into this industry is to read magazines and blogs and newsletters and all sorts of publications to become familiar with the products. In sales, you have to lead with intelligence and create demand so knowledge really is power.   

3. On an off day from work, you will find me... dancing, swimming, hostessing at Felicia Suzanne’s, and scrapbooking. Check out my scrapbooks online at  

4. What is number one on your Memphis bucket list? Breakfast at the Arcade and touring the new National Civil Rights Museum.

5. How long have you worked here? I started working at CMi almost a year ago (June 17 to be exact) and am excited to celebrate my one-year anniversary! I moved to Memphis last April so I have officially been here for 12 months now! As soon as I heard about Memphis magazine, I emailed my resume to everyone I could find to ensure I could get an interview and work for the city magazine!

6. What do you think makes Memphis magazines’ sister publication, the Flyer, different from other publications? The Flyer is great because it really is a weekly guide to going out. It reminds me of Time Out New York which I always used to find fun things to do around the city. The difference is that we paid for that subscription and the Flyer is free and unforced, meaning we have 150,000 loyal weekly readers who really want to read it and value the content!

7. What sets Memphis magazine apart from other publications in the Mid-South of its kind? Memphis magazine is the best publication because it has true, honest, in-depth editorial coverage on topics Memphians want to read about. It’s not full of party pictures and random ads. It is thoughtfully and brilliantly put together which is why our readership keeps growing so quickly!

8. Have you always been so persuasive? Have you always been able to delve into a topic and find the most meaningful information in it to relay to someone else? YES! I always do my best to get my way, which is why my mother always tried to get me into law school. I was an actress growing up and quickly realized how useful my persuasive skills and bubbly personality would be in the sales industry. 

9. Tell me anything else interesting about yourself. Your favorite book, movie, part about working here, your dog’s ridiculous name, anythingMcKenzi and Darth, my two yellow Labrador Retrievers, are my life! I love champagne and do not need a celebratory reason to drink it. Anything pink and sparkly makes me really happy. Katy Perry is amazing and I can’t wait to see her in concert on October 5. 

Add your comment: